Wandering Origins

In late 2013 I listened to The 4 Hour Work Week. It got me thinking about the possibility of working remotely from anywhere in the world. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to see if this could be pulled off while continuing to work at my current job. Since Summer (my wife) and I can both work remotely, why stay at home? After thinking about this for a while, I decided to see if I could talk Summer into the idea of heading to Latin America for 10 months. My reasoning for Latin America was that the time zones are close to Pacific Time where my office is, and the cost of living is relatively cheap. When I brought the subject up for the first time She said, “let’s do it.” Times like these, when I come up with what sounds like an insane idea to most people but my wife says yes without any convincing required, are when I really know I married the perfect girl.

In September of 2014 we ended up needing to do a major repair on our house.  In the midst of that repair we decided the best plan of action would be to finish up the repair and prep the house for sale. 9 months and a ridiculous amount of work later, we listed our house on the market. It sold a few weeks later and we closed on 6/30/2015 right in the middle of the seasonal firework business that we run. We moved our belongings into a storage unit then Summer and I moved into our firework tent for the next 2 weeks. Since we did not know for sure how long it will be before we left the country we decided not to sign a lease on a rental place, but instead to move in with my parents after we finished the firework season. The plan was to spend the next year preparing to leave the country (things like asking my work if it would be ok) and leaving after we wrapped up our Firework business late July of 2016.

We spent the month of April 2016 in Florida and Alabama with family while I test drove working remotely for an extended period of time. Good news, working remotely was a huge success. Unfortunately Summer has been going through some huge health issues.  We decided to postpone the trip till the October time frame and depending on how her health was doing maybe even an entire year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *